Tuesday 26 May 2015

Prawn tomato bisque with zucchini & garlic mushrooms


Ok so I guess it is confession time from my end!!!! The reason I am doing it, is because if I share this with you I have to stick to it and I have to achieve it. :) Yes ofcourse I have packed  on a couple pounds, probably from all the food that I have been cooking but also partly from the condition I suffer from called Endometriosis. I am a complete foodie, I love food, I always have and I always will. I am probably at a point in my life where I have never been happier. I love my husband, my baby boy max (he is a beagle by the way), my family, the life that I have but more importantly I love myself more than I ever have before. I have been some what of a yoyo dieter in the past but that clearly never worked out. So cutting out food from my lifestyle at this point in time is simply not an option.

My philosophy at present is about balance, balance on what I put in my mouth and balance on what and how much exercise I do. No more excuses, no more complaining but more about being happy, content, healthy and achieving healthy weight loss goals. 

SO I have decided to challenge myself and put on healthy dinner ideas for the next two weeks. If you follow my instagram feed you will see I have started to put up daily pics. I am starting with 2 weeks as I would like to see what I can accomplish in a short space of time, (ofcourse this is extendable). If you would like to join me please feel free to do so, I always love company.... :) Join me on instagram, facebook or comment in the box below. 

Last night I decided to scratch through my fridge and freezer and see what is available for me to cook but also reduce my calorie intake at the same time. The picture above is what I came up with. Now this is ofcourse the healthier version of bisque but still gives you the texture of a typical bisque. Instead of using rice and cream to thicken the sauce I decided to use julienne zucchini, mushrooms and canned tomatoes to give it texture. You can blend all this together and keep it as a bisque with prawns. However, I decided not to blend and keep the dish as is to give it as much texture and contrast as possible. 

What you will need is the following: - 

500g prawns (deveined) you can use the heads to enhance the biqsue flavour if you like 
250g Mushrooms
3 - 4 Zucchini Julienne
250g canned tomatoes
1 TBLS Tomato paste
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp Chilli powder
Basil leaves
Salt to taste 
1/2 onion finely sliced
Olive oil for cooking

Method: - 

Place a pan onto a medium heat with olive oil. Add onions, garlic, basil and fry ingredients until onions are transparent. Add the Zucchini and mushrooms, together with salt and pepper. Allow this to cook slightly until the water has released from both ingredients. Now add the prawns and gently toss this together, let this cook until all the water has literally evaporated.  Add the chilli powder and canned tomatoes. Let this cook until you have somewhat of a thick sauce. Add the tomato paste and season with extra salt and pepper if required. 

The dish is meant to have a seafood flavour, that is what a bisque is about. If you have to have carbs, you can always use lower carb content breads or alternatively use something like brown basmati rice to serve with the bisque. I simply enjoyed it as is, as the zucchini acts as a "rice" substitute. Enjoy. Much love as always CC :) 

And don't forget to join me on the healthy dinner idea 2 week challenge on instagram, facebook, or comment in the box below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment