Sunday 4 October 2015

Churros


I would like you to take a moment to merely enjoy looking at the image and imagine the sheer joy of biting into a warm, crunchy, chewy dough gracefully wrapped in a thin coat of cinammon. Ahhhhh yes the glorious Churro! I don't need to do much talking around this as the taste and flavour of any churro will leave you breathless and wanting more... 

Ofcourse there are a couple different recipes and options out there. However, I decided to go with my gut and try an eggless churro. Previously I have made churros with eggs and they come out great, but I found the eggless one works just as well and to be perfectly honest with you, I just didn't have eggs in my fridge on the day. :) 

The trick with Churros though is getting the oil at the right temperature to fry. Ofcourse if you have an electric fryer you can manage the temperature quite well. Otherwise you can follow my method of dunking a piece of dough into the fryer and if it cooks perfectly through you have the right temperature. if it is too high you will see the outside turn brown super quickly and still doughy in the centre. If it is too low you might not have a crunchy Churro. So make sure you have got this down pat!

Let's get to it!!!

Ingredients: - 

2 cups of sunflower oil for frying
1 cup of boiled water
1 TBLS Olive Oil 
1 Tsp Baking powder
2/3 cups of organic all purpose flour 
1/4 cup of sugar or xylitol 
1/4 cup of cinnamon 
Piping bag
Star nozzle (8mm) 

I use nutella as my dunking sauce for the churro. All I do is take some out into a bowl and heat it up for 10 - 15 seconds and you have a perfect chocolate sauce to use to dunk your churro. :) If you would like to make a vegan version, my suggestion is to use cacao powder, cococnut milk and a sweetner of your choice. I would heat this over a water bath to get the correct texture. 

Method: - 

Mix all the above ingredients (except the sugar and sunflower oil) together in a bowl. You want to end up with a really sticky dough. Prepare your oil and make sure you have the right temperature. While the oil is heating up place the dough into the piping bag. In a seperate plate mix the cinnamon and sugar together. 

Now gently pipe your churro into the oil until you have your desired length and cut using a pair of cooking scissors or knief and fry until golden brown. Remove and roll immediately in the cinnamon and sugar. Serve warm with the nutella sauce. Enjoy! Much love as always CC :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment